Freedive - Harvesting | SpearfishingBottom Dwellers
This course bridges the gap for the 'certified freediver' allowing them to grow as a safe and competent freediver, adapting to safe, efficient and conscientious Freedive-Harvesting and Spearfishing methods and practices.
Freediving within their certification standards, students will be taught the fundamentals of safe Freedive-Harvesting, band-powered device handling as well as the basics of Ethical Freedive-Harvesting and Local Rules and Regulations.
Focus of instructional material in BD's Freedive-Harvesting Courses will be on:
- Proper safety practices and procedures for freedive-harvesting and spearfishing as a safe-buddy system
- Proper execution of safe-buddy system protocols
- Classroom Knowledge and Development and In-water skill development covering such topics as: handling of band powered devices, safe freediving practices while harvesting, line management, signals & communication, risk management and how to navigate the basic rules & regulation of local law.
- Freedive-harvesting/spearfishing equipment use, management and maintenance. Learn the benefits specific freedive-harvesting/spearfishing equipment: why it works, how to maximize it's potential and how to keep your gear working for you.
- *Freediver Certification: Student/Client must have completed a minimum of the PFI Freediver Level Certification (or equivalent) or be enrolled in course directly preceding the BD Freedive-Harvesting/Spearfishing course.
- Good bill of health and fitness - (see attached medical form)
- 19 years of age minimum
- Fill a Medical Form
Bottom Dwellers' Freedive-Harvesting Courses will be held between a classroom environment, confined water sessions and open water sessions. For up to date information on these locations check out the course details for the specific course or package you wish to attend.
- 1.5-2 days courses (specific courses and locations vary depending on scheduling, be sure to consult the specific course you are interested in taking for most up to date details)
Over the course you will have in some shape or form:
- 2 classroom sessions (total of 6 hours*)
- 1 shore/confined water handling session (total of 1.5 hours)
- 1 open water handling session (total of 1.5 hours)
- *For certain Freedive-Harvester & Tide to Table Packages the classroom/knowledge and development time is condensed to a 4 hour session to accommodate the weekend schedule. Please refer to your specific course schedule for this information.
As part of the instruction for Bottom Dwellers' Freedive-Harvesting and Spearfishing courses, you will learn to select, manage and maintain your personal freediving equipment as well as equipment provided by Bottom Dwellers Freediving.
The Freedive-Harvesting Course requires each student to have in their possession for the course:
- Full Wetsuit (5-7mm for cold-water locations, with a strong recommendation of a 7mm freediving suit or at a minimum 5mm open-cell freediving suit. Open water sessions are long and the cold can affect your performance and experience in the course)
- Mask & Snorkel
- Weight-Belt and weights
- Dive Knife
- Timing device or Dive Computer
- Dive Light (recommended, but not required)
Included in the cost of the course is:
- Personalized instruction from a highly trained freediving professional and marine harvesting enthusiast.
- 1 instructor/assistant : 6 student divers ratio. Bottom Dwellers offers a very small class ratio to maximize the experience of its students and allow for less time between dives during its open water sessions. (if this ratio changes for a specific course it will be noted and price adjusted accordingly)
- Classroom, Confined Water and Open-Water instruction